While doing my weekly troll on the web for my recipes – and with my new found eggplant obsession – I found what seemed to be the mecca of all recipes. At first glance it seemed far too unhealthy for me to make, but as I looked closer I saw that 1- it was only 167 calories/serving (yes I am well aware that that isn’t an indicator of any nutrition) and 2 – all the ingredients were awesome. The only issue that some of you may have is the cheese.
I seriously couldn’t get enough of this and, the best part, is that when I went back for another 1/2 serving, I wasn’t packing on the calories! Score!
1 peeled eggplant
1 medium – large onion
1 package of pre-sliced mushrooms
1/2 Tsp of dried Italian seasoning
1/4 TSP salt
2 Garlic cloves chopped
1/4 tsp of black pepper divided
1 (8oz) can of no salt tomato sauce ** I made my own tomato sauce and did 3/4cup to 1 cup
2/3 cup of shredded part skim mozzarella cheese divided
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat broiler (mine automatically goes to 550, so I just kept it there).
- I like to prep all my ingredients before I start so be sure to have everything chopped and ready to go before you begin cooking
- Peel and slice your eggplant the long way and make each piece about 1/4 inch thick
- place them on a baking dish and place in broiler.
- Cook for three minutes on each side or until nicely browned
- If your over can pre-heat while broiling, do so. Otherwise do it after you broil the eggplants. Preheat to 375
- Heat a large skillet and coat with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, dried Italian seasoning, and salt
- Cover and cook for about 7 minutes or until tender. Stir occastionally
- Increase heat after above and cook for two minutes or until liquid evaporates
- Take a round baking dish (I used my ceramic pan) and coat with cooking spray and spread half of the cooked mushroom mixture over the bottom of the dish
- Arrange half of the eggplants over the mushroom mixture
- Sprinkle with pepper
- Top with 1/3 cup of tomato sauce and 1/3 cup of mozzarella
- Do it all over again!
- Remaining mushrooms on top of mozzarella
- Remaining eggplant over mushrooms
- top with the remaining sauce
- STOP! Do not put the rest of the cheese on
- Cover and bake on 375 for one hour
- After an hour, sprinkle 1/3 cup of mozzarella and Parmesan
- Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes
- Let stand for 10 minutes
Take pics of tag us so we can see just how delish is looks.