Why it’s a super food:
-High in healthy monounsaturated fat which may help lower “bad” LDL cholesterol and raise “good” HDL cholesterol
-Avocados provide all 18 essential amino acids, so the body can form a complete protein.
-Avocados contain Vitamins C and E, carotenoids, selenium, zinc, phytosterols and omega-3 fatty acids which help fight inflammation
-High in lutein, which helps protect the eyes from diseases such as cataracts and macular degeneration.
A fantastic avocado and shrimp skewer recipe:
8 Large shrimp, peeled and deveined. Leave tail on if desired
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 ripe, but firm Hass avocado, sliced into 8 wedges
Lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
1. Soak 8 wooden skewers in water (about 30 minutes)
2. Heat grill to medium-high
3. Toss shrimp with olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt and cayenne pepper
4. Put 1 shrimp and 1 avocado wedge on each skewer
5. Grill, until shrimp are cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side