Kale is my absolute favorite vegetable. I love it anyway it is prepared and with any type of meal… I’ve even had it in an omelet!
Kale is known as one of the very best superfoods.
Why it’s rad:
- One cup can provide almost 90% of your daily Vitamin C
- Kale has an abundance of phytochemicals – phytochemicals are substances associated with the prevention of cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and hypertension
- One cup is only 36 calories and gives you 192% of the daily value of Vitamin A. And, since Vit A is a plant source, you can’t overdose on it.
- Three servings a day of a dark leafy green can slow mental decline that comes with age
And an Kale awesome recipe:
1 bunch kale (about 3⁄4 lb.), stemmed and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped into a paste
1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice 2 tsp. soy sauce 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil 3 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled 2 tbsp. raw hemp seeds (optional) Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Whisk together juices, soy sauce, and garlic in a bowl. Slowly whisk in oil; set dressing aside.
2. Cut 2 avocados into 1⁄2″ cubes and thinly slice the remaining avocado. Put cubed avocados, half of the hemp seeds, and kale into a serving bowl. Toss kale mixture with dressing and season generously with salt and pepper. Divide salad between plates and garnish with sliced avocado and remaining hemp seeds.