Everyone knows that brown rice is better for you than white rice – but why?
Why it’s a super food:
- Brown rice is high in fiber – which helps the body feel full faster and with less food.
- Brown rice is a whole grain, and is not a processed food.
- Brown rice is high in anti-oxidants.
- Brown rice is high in selenium which may help prevent cancer.
- Brown rice is high in manganese which helps the body process fats.
Here is a great vegetarian black bean and brown rice dinner.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
1 bell pepper, diced
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
In a large pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onion, cook and stir. When tender, add beans, pepper, tomato, garlic powder and oregano. Bring to a boil, and add in rice. Reduce heat and cover, simmer for about five minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand for five minutes before serving. Serves 4.
Photo courtesy freedititalphotos.net