Here is an absolutely delicious super food – dark chocolate! Sometimes, even dessert can be healthy!
Why it’s a super food:
- Dark chocolate is chock full of flavonoids which are antioxidants that help improve blood flow, lower blood pressure and help neutralize free radicals in the body.
- Choose dark chocolate that is at least 70% cacao.
- About 1 ounce of dark chocolate is 150 calories, so be mindful of serving size.
- Dark chocolate also contains potassium, magnesium and iron.
- Dark chocolate may help increase HDL (good) cholesterol.
Here’s a great recipe with some dark chocolate:
4 ounces dark chocolate
20-24 large strawberries
Directions: Wash and thoroughly dry strawberries. Melt chocolate – microwave 30 seconds on medium and stir, repeat until melted. Dip strawberries in melted chocolate, place on wax-paper covered tray, and refrigerate until chocolate sets. Serves 4.
Image courtesy Grant Cochrane / freedigitalphotos.net